Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Irish Festivites!

Oh the Irish Festival...it's one of the many reasons why I love living in Columbus!  This was our third time going, and yet Doug and I were so excited that we were acting like two little kids going to see Santa for the first time (well ones that are not terrified of him lol).  This of course is another reason why I love Doug so much :) he not only enjoys going to any kind of festival whether it be Irish, Italian, Greek, whatever...as much as I do, he is also totally in love with the Irish culture.   We both have Irish roots in our family trees, Doug's mother's maiden name was Carey, which was originally O'Carey.  My great grandmother on my father's side immigrated from Ireland to the United States when she was just 14 years old.  In fact, my great aunt still to this day drives around in her van with a large green clover taped in her back window.  My mother's side is also littered with Irish names such as Brigham and Patterson.  There is just so much about the Irish culture that I'm drawn too...the music, the dancing, the art, it's just all so magical!  It has always been a dream of mine to visit Ireland photograph it's beauty and trace some of my Irish roots.  One day, hopefully soon, I will be blogging about my wonderful trip back from the beautiful island, but for now a blog about the Irish Festival in Dublin, Ohio will have to do (after all it's just like Ireland except smaller)

:)


This is Molly, she is an Irish Terrier.  Each year they have a section at the festival dedicated to the 
Irish dog breeds :) 







This was my mom's second visit to the Irish Festival, she too is proud of her Irish roots!



My dad, brother in-law Mike, and friend Adam talking about "Irish" things I'm sure :)



Doug and Mike trying to figure out where exact they were on the map



Yup, still haven't figured it out :)





Doug's new goal in life...learn how to play the bagpipes



And this is what I left with...it's a Claddagh Ring meaning "love, loyalty, and friendship"

"With this crown, I give my loyalty, With these hands, I offer my service, With this heart, I give you mine"







   

No comments:

Post a Comment