Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Collections

So those of you who know me pretty well, you know that I am a collector.  I'm pretty sure it all started with my rock collection from primary school.  I would pick up really sweet looking rocks on my walk home from the bus stop and the put them in my really sweet Lisa Frank pencil box.  Then my sister and I started a weird collection of Dum-Dum wrappers, don't' ask why (which I'm pretty sure we still have to this day), next was my marble collection, and then my pog collection, then stamps and coins...the list goes on and on.  To be honest, I've never really thought much about why I love collecting things, just figured it was something that everyone does. That is not until this weekend.  As Doug and I were sorting through some boxes from the move, we came to a large Rubbermaid bin that my mother so kindly brought with her on her last visit to the house ;) labeled "Courtney's Beanie Babies."  Doug suggested that we go through the bin and try to "downsize" the quite large collection.  At first I agreed, but as I pulled out each one, memories started filling my head.  After sorting through maybe ten beanie babies and not finding any that I felt comfortable departing with, Doug finally smiled and said "let's just keep them in the bin."
You see this collection is extra special because it actually started with my grandmother.  She was a collector too, in fact I would often sit down with her and we would sort through our coin and stamp collections together.  So when it comes down to it, I guess you could say collecting is in my blood.  Even though the Beanie Babies aren't worth much today, they will forever be priceless to me because they made me feel close to my grandma again.  So for now, the Beanie Babies are staying, and who knows maybe one day I can share them with my children!



Just a couple of my favorites :)

1 comment:

  1. I think Twigs is my favorite and I am glad Doug let you keep your collection. :) Thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete